- I rarely wrap gifts anymore. Since gift bags hit the market, that’s pretty much been my go-to. However, I fundamentally believe that gift bags make opening a gift less fun. Especially for the kiddos. That’s my lazy showing.
- Sometimes I see pictures of myself and think, “Does my nose really look like that?” But not necessarily in a bad way. Does anyone else see photos of themselves and have a hard time wrapping their head around a certain feature?
- The past few days have felt very fall-ish to me. In fact, I’ve been wearing light sweaters and scarves. I love fall, but I’m not ready for it. The weather has been so amazing this summer that I’d love for summer to stick around a bit longer. That’s weird because I’m usually VERY done with summer by now.
- It’s a guarantee that if I’m waiting for a call and I hit the bathroom, the call will come in and I’ll miss it. Does this happen to everyone? It’s also a guarantee that if I’m on the phone with my little brother, one of us will need to potty at some point in the conversation.
- For four years I was spoiled and came home to a homemade meal almost every night. It was lovely. The other day I was really missing that so I filled up my crockpot and was greeted that night with a homemade meal of my own doing. I’ll definitely be doing that more often!
Posted by Annie Brokaw on August 28, 2014
- Taking the time I needed on a Friday night to just rest and take care of myself for a bit.
- Not setting an alarm once this weekend. I love when time is somewhat irrelevant.
- A new band I heard on Saturday night. William Clark Green is an interesting mix between Hank Williams Jr., Tom Petty, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. They blew my mind.
- Celebrating my niece’s second birthday. Man, did she love all the attention. She’s a true Leo, that one!
- A pleasant evening in my backyard complete with bare feet in the grass and a fire burning in the chiminea.
Posted by Annie Brokaw on August 25, 2014
- According to my nephew Landon, I own a plane. Then I, apparently, sold that plane to his maternal grandmother, Gigi. Most recently the plane is in the possession of my mom, Landon’s Nana. All of this is to say that whomever has been visiting most recently is the owner of the plane. I’d like it back now.
- Y’all are familiar with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, yes? Well, I was going to post about how while I think it’s great that so much attention is being brought to ALS, I’m tired of my news feed being clogged with challenge videos. And then I saw this. Yeah. Consider me happy to watch every video I see.
- Speaking of things dominating my feeds…Robin Williams death was a big time bummer. Big time. However, I would have appreciated seeing the same outpouring of concern and emotion for the 20 some-odd vets who took their lives on the same day. Did you know that suicide deaths of vets from the most recent wars are higher than the death toll of those who’ve died in action? Seems like that’s the conversation we should be having.
- I find it totally amusing how sometimes I don’t like an original, but a cover totally hits me in the right way. Here are two examples: one, two.
- I’m pretty bummed that summer is almost over. We’ve had an amazing summer here in Colorado. There’s been so much rain that things have been green and lush the whole way through. I’m not ready for the cooler weather!
Posted by Annie Brokaw on August 21, 2014
- Getting to see my niece Farrah and my nephew Ayuba twice in one week. That makes for a very happy auntie!
- Spending all of Sunday afternoon outside with my little people. We ate Popsicles, played soccer, danced, snuggled, chatted, laughed, and got dirty. There’s no better way to spend beautiful Sunday afternoons, in my opinion.
- Resolution and moving forward. Sometimes it’s a hard thing to do, but the release that happens afterwards is pretty liberating.
- Supportive friends and loved ones. I’ve got them in abundance and, if for no other reason, I’m so lucky.
- A great dinner with my pops this weekend. I love just sitting there and listening to him tell his stories.
Posted by Annie Brokaw on August 18, 2014
- While I know the saying “bless his/her heart” is actually a passive aggressive slam (i.e. “he’s so dumb, bless his heart”), especially in the south, I say it all the time and actually mean it. I might need to find a new saying so I adequately communicate, huh?
- I hate cardio. Hate. It. Running? Torture. Now, lifting – lifting I love. (Although, I had the occasion to take a jog while in Texas and the lower altitude definitely made a difference. I almost enjoyed that jog. Perhaps the altitude is the issue…)
- My primary Love Language is “words of affirmation”, so this article really struck me. I’m going to make it more of a priority to know the love language of the major players in my life. Seems like properly nurturing people you care about, no matter what their role in your life is, can only be beneficial to everyone involved.
- I’m still dealing with accident stuff both legally and physically. The physical side will be with me for life (good times), but I’m really looking forward to the legal side wrapping up. It’s pretty draining.
- I’ve got a few concerts on the books in the next month and I’m super excited to hear some awesome live music! There’s been too little of it in my life this summer.
Posted by Annie Brokaw on August 14, 2014