- Spending time with new people who feel like old friends after a few short days.
- An afternoon curled up in front of fire with a good book.
- Laughing until you can’t breathe. Is there anything better?
- People who do such a great job making you feel special and appreciated!
- Knowing that I’ve got some vacation days coming up here soon. I can’t wait to get in some good family time!
Posted by Annie Brokaw on December 15, 2014
- I’ve decided that I feel really bad for mall Santas. Can you imagine a lap full of one crying kid after another for hours on end? I wonder what that does for a person’s self esteem over time! Poor guys.
- Here’s something I don’t understand. With the advent of autocorrect and spell check, how is it that so many people spell things incorrectly? When the word is clearly underlined in red, how does that not catch your attention enough to investigate? Or is it that they just don’t care at all? (Disclaimer: yes, I make spelling and grammatical errors, too. But every time I come across one, I cringe. It just eats me up. I think that places me outside of the population I’m referring to.)
- I really wish I had a fireplace. And a bath tub. But this loveliness is helpful. The other night, I had this crackling away while I read. Not too shabby!
- I love when a song just grabs you right away and takes hold. This is the most recent example of that.
- T minus four days until my brother and his family arrive in town. Dear Lord, the anticipation! I get to meet my newest niece, people! YAY!
Posted by Annie Brokaw on December 11, 2014
- Constructive conversations that come to good resolutions.
- That my sister and I can be sounding boards for each other. I love that she and I have a close relationship.
- Getting pulled into good books. Nothing like snuggling up in bed and reading for hours on end!
- Coming home to 10 packages the other day! It was, for the most part, the bulk of my Christmas shopping and then a few treats for me. So fun!
- That my job comes with good vacation and sick leave. Pretty lucky.
Posted by Annie Brokaw on December 8, 2014
- Enjoying Christmas music is entirely conditional for me. Example: there’s a local station here that plays nothing but Christmas music for the month of December. Well, it used to be the month of December. They started weeks early this year. Anyway, I flipped to that station on Thanksgiving to hear “Santa Baby” (my absolute least favorite ever! Don’t sexualize Santa, folks. Seriously.) and thought, “Aw come on! What the?” The next day I’m out running errands, flip to the same station and thought, “Aw yeah! Love it!”
- I make a killer pot roast. The awesome leftovers take away the sting of cooking something for six hours and then eating it in 10 minutes. Isn’t that so annoying?
- T-minus 11 days until my brother and his family arrive for Christmas. Nope, not excited at all.
- I’m planning on doing some baking this holiday season for the first time in several years. When your kitchen is itty-bitty, baking is hard. But I’m going for it. I love to bake!
- When I’m eating distractedly and I think I have another bite of something I’m really enjoying and then I look down to see it’s all gone, that bums me out. On the flip-side, when I think I’m all done with something and I look down to see another bite, that’s pretty awesome.
Posted by Annie Brokaw on December 4, 2014
- While kissing my niece and making her giggle, my sister said she thinks my kisses are more ticklish than other people’s. My nephew presented his cheek to evaluate for himself and then said, “Yeah, they are. There’s a sparkle in them.”
- While eating dinner with me and my mom, my nephew, out of nowhere, says, “Someday I’ll be dating a girl and I’m concerned about impressing her parents.”
- After being told his eyelashes are the longest I’ve ever seen he says, “It’s like Hercules on my eyeballs.”
- After being told about a family member who died many years ago at the age of six he says, “Oh God. Six is too young to die. There’s still too much wonder in the world.”
Posted by Annie Brokaw on December 3, 2014